Our commitment to privacy
ReachOut Australia (“ReachOut”), its staff, volunteers and interns who operate:
- ReachOut Orb (iPad and desktop applications);
- ReachOut NextStep;
- ReachOut Breathe;
- ReachOut WorryTime;
- ReachOut Recharge;
- any ReachOut social media profiles; and
- any of our services,
1. What type of data do we collect and hold?
- Personal Information: Personal Information about you to enable us to provide certain services to you. The types of Personal Information that we may collect include but may not be limited to your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date of birth, bank/credit card details, gender, occupation, educational and work history and the internet protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using.
- Non-Personal Information: This information includes the search terms you have used on our Sites, the pages you have visited and various log information including information about your browser such as the type and language, the date and time of your request and cookies to identify your browser. Non-Personal Information is not capable of identifying the individual user.
- Sensitive Information: Occasionally, we also collect Personal Information that comprises limited Sensitive Information. This includes Personal Information about an individual’s racial origin, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. It also includes health information (i.e. information or an opinion about your health, wishes about health services or health services provided to them).
2. When do we collect personal information?
We collect Personal Information from you in a number of different ways including when you provide Personal Information to us over the phone, in person, by email, completing a form or through the use of the Sites. You can browse through the Sites without telling us who you are or providing any Personal Information. With your consent however, in the following circumstances we will collect Personal Information from you:
- When you make a donation or purchase materials: To finalise a donation or purchase and issue receipts we collect and hold your name, address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card or bank account details. This data may also be used to verify your identity should you contact us for information about your donation history.
- Requesting merchandise: You can request ReachOut merchandise which we will send out to you. To do so, you will need to provide your email address, address, name, occupation.
When you participate in or register for an event: You can register your interest in participating in an event or fundraising challenge. At this time you would need to provide your name, age, gender and contact details.
- Registration to ReachOut.com: You can register to be a ReachOut.com member through https://au.reachout.com. To do so, you will need to provide your email address age, gender, postcode, username and password.
- Registration for ReachOut Schools: You can register for a ReachOut Schools profile through https://schools.au.reachout.com. To do so, you will need to provide your email address, age, gender, postcode, profession, username and password.
- Applications for volunteer or employment opportunities: You can apply through the Sites to participate in ReachOut employment opportunities or volunteer opportunities or internships. To do so, you will need to provide your name, age, gender, contact details and any relevant experience you may have.
- Newsletter service: Whether you are a member or not, you can sign-up to receive e-newsletters through the Sites. To do so, you will need to provide your email address and, depending on the service, other information including name, occupation and interests (related to ReachOut and the work that we do).
- SMS service: Members have the choice to sign up for the ReachOut.com SMS service. To do so, you will need to provide your mobile phone number.
- Posting information on the Sites: You may choose to post Personal Information about yourself on the Sites. Any information that is disclosed on the Sites becomes public information and we recommend that you exercise caution when disclosing Personal Information on the Sites.
- Competitions: You may participate in competitions offered on the Sites. To do so, you will need to provide your name, age, gender and contact details.
- Stories: You may choose to submit a story for publication on the Sites. To do so, you will need to provide your name (or a pseudonym), age, gender, post code and email address.
- Surveys: You may choose to participate in surveys on the Sites. To do so, you may need to provide your age, gender, post code and email address.
We may also collect Personal Information from you from time-to-time to update your existing information, and to acquire new supporters to support our ongoing cause. For example, if you sign a petition we may contact you to ask you to donate to, or get involved in, some other action in connection with the work that we do.
Occasionally we may also collect Personal Information about you from publicly available sources such as the telephone directory, and occasionally from third party sources such as Australia Post or The Prospect Shop. When we do so, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that we make you aware of the collection of your information in accordance with the Act.
When we collect Personal Information from you, we expect you will only provide information that is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We will only collect Personal Information by lawful and fair means, and not in an unreasonable or intrusive way.
Where it is lawful and practical to do so, you may have the option of interacting with us anonymously or by using a pseudonym.
If we are not able to collect Personal Information about you we may not be able to provide you with products, services or assistance to the extent that they require us to collect, use or disclose Personal Information.
3. When do we collect sensitive information?
We only collect Sensitive Information in a very limited number of circumstances. You can browse through the Sites and access all features of the Sites without disclosing Sensitive Information. However, with your consent, we will collect Sensitive Information about you in the following circumstances:
(a) when you apply through the Sites to be a ReachOut.com volunteer or intern. In applying for these positions you may choose to answer questions about your racial origin, ethnic origin or sexual orientation to help us to provide a service that is inclusive and supports diverse service users.;
(b) when completing surveys or interviews undertaken as part of a research project for the purposes of improving the services we offer; and
(c) if you disclose a risk of harm to yourself or another person we may ask you for, and record information about, your safety, supports and access to help to fulfil any duty of care we may have to you.
Other than this, we do not wish to be informed of Sensitive Information about you or others. If you choose to post Sensitive Information about yourself on the Sites this becomes public information. We recommend that you exercise caution when disclosing Sensitive Information on the Sites.
4. When do we collect non-personal information?
As you navigate through the Sites or conduct searches on the Sites, non-Personal Information (including log information such as your page request, date and time of your request and cookies that identify your browser) is collected without you actively providing it. This information allows us to understand how the Sites are used and identify ways in which it can be improved.
Cookies are pieces of information sent to your computer’s hard disk when you access information on that site. Each time you use your computer to access the same site, the information that was previously received is sent back to the site by your browser. Cookies do not identify individual users and do not allow us access to Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) about you. However, when you visit a Site operated by us, our servers may record non-Personal Information about your usage, the time and duration of your visit, the pages you visit and style settings.
5. How do we use the information we collect?
(a) Personal Information: The Personal Information you provide us may be used for a number of purposes connected with services we offer and the purpose for which it was collected, including:
- processing donations;
- fulfilling and processing your requests;
- responding to your queries;
- keeping you up to date with our latest news and special events;
- conducting research or surveys;
- employee and volunteer recruitment;
- updating ReachOut supporters;
- improving the quality of the Sites and the services we provide; and
- purposes related to those described above which would reasonably be expected by you.
In addition, where you have consented, we may use your Personal Information to conduct marketing by way of mail, telephone, email and SMS. If you do not wish to receive any such information, you always have the right to opt-out of receiving this information and may contact us using the contact details set out in section 11 of the policy.
(b) Sensitive Information: Sensitive Information provided will be used to ensure appropriate demographic diversity in youth involvement activities helping us provide a service that is inclusive and supports diverse service users. If you provide Sensitive Information through surveys or for research projects this information may be used to ensure we have content reflecting your experience with mental health, in internal research reports and/or in funding reports. Where possible however, we will de-identify this information. Sensitive information relating to risk of harm, health and safety is used only to fulfil any duty of care we may have to you.
(c) Non-Personal Information: Non-Personal Information may be used and combined with Personal Information to provide better services to users of the Sites, customise the Sites based on your preferences, compile and analyse statistics, recruit new supporters and trends and otherwise administer and improve the Sites for your use.
6. Who we disclose our information to
ReachOut may disclose your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) for the purpose for which it was collected. We may also disclose your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) for a secondary purpose that is related to a purpose (and in the case of Sensitive Information, directly related to a purpose) for which we collected it, where you would reasonably expect us to disclose your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) for that secondary purpose.
Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) that you provide (including information you post on the Sites or otherwise communicate with us) may be disclosed to our management and personnel, third party service providers we use in conducting our activities(eg mailing service, payroll provider, cloud software provider), professional advisers and funders. This may include companies and individuals that perform certain functions on our behalf such as sending mail, providing marketing assistance and processing credit card payments. Such agents will have access only to the Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) necessary to perform their functions but may not use this information for other purposes. When disclosing this information we may take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient is bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in accordance with the Act and this policy.
We will not disclose the Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) that you provide to advertisers or other organisations without your express consent, although if you post this information on the Sites it may become publicly available.
There are certain circumstances where we are entitled to disclose Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) without your consent, including if we believe there is a serious and imminent threat to the life, health or safety of yourself or the public, for legally permitted law enforcement activities, or where otherwise required or authorised by or under law.
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) may be located outside Australia. For example, we use some third party service providers that store personal data in overseas countries to deliver our services. These countries are United States of America and Hong Kong.
7. How can you access the personal information that we hold about you?
We will take all reasonable steps to keep your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) up-to-date and accurate. You have the right to request access to or correction of any information which relates to you and we will take the appropriate steps to provide you with access to correct information we hold about you.
If you would like to access a copy of the Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) we hold about you, or believe that the information we have is not up-to-date, complete or accurate, please contact us as specified below.
When you contact us, please include your email address, name, address, and telephone number and clearly describe your request or complaint. We will respond within a reasonable period. If we decline your request to access that information or to correct it we will provide you with written notice setting out the reasons why your request has been refused and the mechanisms available to you to complain about the refusal.
If you would like your account on any ReachOut service removed, you will need to send an email to email@example.com from the email address registered to that account and state your username and name. We will remove the account within a reasonable period but in most circumstances we will not be able to remove publically available posts associated with that account.
8. Complaints process
Reach Out expects its procedures will deal fairly and promptly with your complaint. However, if you are not satisfied with our response or would like to make a formal complaint you may at any time refer your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (which is the regulator responsible for privacy in Australia).
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC)
Complaints must be made in writing.
1300 363 992
Director of Compliance
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
9. How we protect your information
ReachOut has implemented a range of procedures to protect your Personal Information (including Sensitive Information) from modification, misuse, disclosure, loss and unauthorised access. This is done through our technology infrastructure, our internal risk management framework and security policies and procedures, and for all donations and communications through our website via a secure server.
11. How to contact us
ReachOut Australia (ABN 27 075 428 787)
Level 2, Building B,
35 Saunders St
Pyrmont NSW 2009
Phone: (02) 8029 7777