Hear from Clinical Psychologist, Dr Shilpa Madiwale on how parents can navigate conflict and cultural differences with their teens.
Some key points to help you deal with conflict and difference with your teen
- Difference between cultures doesn't have to be a good or bad thing. Acknowledging this can lead to increased connection with your child.
- It's important for your teen to have their voice heard. You don't need to agree with them, but listening to them is important.
- Taking the initiative to connect with your teen can be helpful.
- If there's a language barrier, do activities together where you don't have to sit and talk e.g. cooking, dance, games, music.
- If it seems like nothing's worked to bridge the gap with your teen, seeing a GP or psychologist can help.