During the 2019/20 Australian bushfire season, David made sure he was supporting his daughter Ruby as much as possible. He felt it was important to keep her informed about what was going on, even when he was caught up in the stress of the bushfires himself. For other parents going through this, David would suggest making room for conversations to suggest support pathways for their teen and keeping them involved in what’s going on.
How to communicate effectively with your teen
- Be genuinely interested and curious about what they have to say.
- Give them your full attention.
- Show empathy by putting yourself in your teen’s shoes.
- Avoid giving advice they haven’t asked for.
- Choose a quiet space without distractions for important conversations.